Reading and Spelling Therapy
Phono-Graphix™ is a straightforward reading method, which was developed by Carmen and Geoffrey Mc Guinness in 1993, at the Read America clinic and was introduced to South Africa in the year 2000 by Read For Africa. It takes the sounds of the English language – and teaches the various sound-pictures (letters) that represent those sounds in careful stages. The method is being used all over South Africa in numerous schools as well as globally.
READING AND SPELLING INSTRUCTION
- Do you want your child to get a head start and learn how to read or improve his/her reading and spelling?
- Does your child guess words or struggle to read new/unfamiliar words?
- Are you worried that your child is learning words off by heart instead of learning the skill of reading?
- Does your child do well on Fridays’ spelling test but not in other writing activities?
- Is your child reading, but lacks fluency and confidence?
DETAILS ABOUT THE ASSESSMENT AND SESSIONS
The first session will comprise of a reading and spelling assessment. This assessment aims:
- To see the types of mistakes a learner makes and to establish error patterning.
- To determine whether it is a lack of “skill”, “knowledge” or just a “bad” habit.
- To determine what type of a speller a learner is (cautious or more impulsive).
- To establish where to start with reading therapy
- For referral purposes (multi-disciplined team)
Each hour-long Lesson will focus on:
- Skill acquisition
- Introducing a new sound
- Clinical activities
- Buddy reading
- Scratch sheet spelling and editing (buddy writing)
Reading and Spelling Therapy is offered to individuals from beginner readers (as young as 4yrs) to older children/adults who need assistance with reading and/or spelling.
Give you child a head start or help him/her to improve his/her reading. Phono-Graphix reading therapists assist children with integrating basic reading and spelling skills into real life contexts and give them strategies and techniques to apply these skills. Links from Sound-to-Symbol-to-Meaning are made where learners are encouraged to develop their vocabulary, logical reasoning and basic comprehension skills.